FEATURED IMAGE: By Kris Zurbas
A smartphone app to help drivers stay updated on traffic restrictions for the Virgin River Bridge #1 Replacement project in far northwestern Arizona. The interstate serves as a heavy commercial trucking route for the Northwestern U.S. and a daily route for commuters living in Utah, Arizona and Nevada.
Wednesday, Sept. 8 began what has proven to be a real “Pain in the Gorge” when I-15 was be narrowed to one lane in each direction across the bridge. There are width and weight restrictions in place.
The Facebook Page “Pain in the Gorge” has provided motorists with valuable and up-to-date information on traffic conditions related to that particular stretch of the I-15.
There is an app available for both Android and iPhone users that will also give you up-to-date information on traffic conditions if Facebook isn’t your thing.
- Receive updates on construction activities that will likely impact traffic flow on I-15.
- The width restriction requires all drivers of vehicles wider than 10 feet to use a 224-mile detour route during construction.
- Additionally, the overweight restriction means that all drivers of vehicles over 129,000 lbs will also have to use the detour.
- The app will direct drivers of oversize vehicles to the detour route of US 93, Nevada State Route 319 and Utah State Route 56 between Las Vegas and Cedar City, Utah.
- Commercial truck drivers who use I-15 frequently are encouraged to download this app in order to stay current on traffic impacts during construction.